Wednesday, October 04, 2006

The Music That's Rockin' My World

Song: I Will Be Artist: The Proclaimers Why: It's such a fun song. I like to roll down the windows of my car and blast it. The Proclaimers sound a bit like Buddy Holly, a bit like the Beatles, a bit like a wannabe country rock band. Oh, and did I mention they have the most mockable Irish accents? It is not possible to listen to them without trying to imitate them. And that looks really funny when you're cruising down the road with your windows down.

Song: Sirens Artist: Jane Eyre The Broadway Musical Cast Recording Why: Okay, so any true musical theatre purist is probably wringing there hands in rage that I should dare to like Jane Eyre, one of the "condemned musicals of Broadway." But some of the songs (not all, just some) are really good. Like "Sirens." In the song, Mr. Rochester is thinking about how much he loves Jane, how he is inexplicably drawn to her (as if she's a "siren"), but another voice, the memories of his past, call to him also. Near the end of the song, Mr. Rochester, Jane, and the ghost from the attic are all singing at the same time (but different songs.) Okay, so maybe this still sounds corny. I like it!

Song: When Love Comes to Town Artist: U2 and BB King Why: It's U2. It's BB King. Need I type more? This song is bluesy and passionate and everything that's great about U2 and BB King rolled up into one incredible 4 minutes 18 seconds song.

No comments: