Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Memoirs of a Geisha




I received a copy of this film for Christmas and was so in awe of it's ethereal beauty that I had to write about it. My parents met in Japan, so I have always had a fascination with the country that allowed me to exist. I also met the woman who designed the hair for the film this summer at film school...she even styled my hair like Sayuri's (cherry blossom combs and all!) Anyway, enough bragging. Rob Marshall, the director of Chicago, creates a gorgeous, lost world that we can never enter, the world of the geisha in the 1930's and 40's. I know this will sound really weird, but this movie has a wonderful "rhythm"-Marshall knows just when to end the scene, just when the actress should tip her head. It's like a dance. Ziyi Zhang is like an Asian Audrey Hepburn, but my favorite actresses in the picture are Michelle Yeoh and Gong Li. Yeoh has such a grace and poise, yet gives her character an inner strength, and Li, with her intense eyes and bold voice, controls the screen every time she enters it. This is a film not to be missed.

2 comments:

hot potato said...

hello miss linden street! you don't know me but my twin sister is one of your teachers...i love your blog!

i absolutely agree with you about this movie. i saw it in the theatre when it came out and i was so moved. the reality of how the characters lived and survived was haunting. but the most magical element was the use of color. the colors were so strong--they grabbed the audience so we could experience the beauty of the geisha with all of our senses!

what a great gift.

happy new year to you.

Linden Street said...

I'm glad you enjoy my blog so much! I have a lot of fun putting it together. Since I've blogged on "Geisha" I've bought the soundtrack for it, and it was definitely worth it. (Track 8 is my favorite.) That whole movie is so well put together. The director, Rob Marshall, is a genius!